info & Activities Hurghada Branch
Red Sea branch
Hurghada Branch is one of the oldest branches in which increasing the awareness of oceanography that started since 1932. This branch was the main edifice of this science in Egypt and the Arab world and became the window on the recent studies on oceanography and the Red Sea creatures that God has endowed us. People should be made aware of ways of protecting and preserving marine environment and its contents including colorful fishes and coral reefs which are deemed the main source of tourism in the Governorate. I hope that efforts exerted by the researchers will be intensified, cooperation and support will be provided to them by all the stakeholders and authorities concerned for raising standard of the institute and preservingthis aspect of Egypt's national wealth.
• The contribution of solving the problems facing the Red Sea environment such as the problem of the Crown of Thorn.
• Carrying out the Environmental Impact Assessment reports for the touristic projects along the Red Sea.
• The Institute is considered as a main consultant in solving the international cases in the Red Sea.
• There is a signed protocol between the Institute and National Center of the Nuclear Protection in Cairo to make a nuclear emission map for the Red Sea.
• There is a wide cooperation between the Institute and the Arabian Universities to evaluate their scientific researchers and to train their technicians in mummification and preserving the different marine samples.
The Management Building:
In 1999, a new modern building was established for the management. It consists of 10 office rooms and a conference room located directly on the Red Sea coast.
The library occupies an area of about 180 m2. It contains one of the most and complete collections of publication on the red sea and indo-pacific regions. The library receives more than 25 renowned journals in the field and has exchange with more than 350 institutes and universities all over the world. One of the most important books in the library is the book of "Description D' Egypt" written during the French occupation (1798-1801)
The museum contains wide collections of the biological and geological samples from the red sea and Indian Ocean. One of the most important collections is that collected by the r/v "Mabbahis" during the Egyptian red sea expedition. These samples and collections serve as a reference collection for scientists and present a treasure for scientists and students interested in studying the red sea all over the world.
The aquarium was established in 1995 renewed in 2000. It consists of 26 glass basins in a circle shape. These basins contain a variety of the Red Sea fishes such as coral and benthic fishes, beside the strange species of marine animals that characterize the Red Sea environment. The maritime team at the institute collects these samples periodically, in addition to new aquarium under construction.
The Technical Department:
The technical department occupies one special room beside the scientific laboratories. This room is of area of 70 m2 and is equipped with all the necessary equipment used in mummification the samples and then these samples present a part of the museum.
In 1928 the faculty of science of the Egyptian university established a scientific station at Hurghada on the red sea coast, for both sample collection and field training. A scientific team from the faculty of science chose the site of the station through a cruise along the Egyptian red sea coast on the board of the royal yachts (Kawala and Savaria). The team found that the best site for the team proposed station is at the southern extremity of the Gulf of Suez, especially at Hurghada city. In 1930 king Fouad institute at Alexandria donated its library and oceanographic equipment to the new station. In 1945, the station becomes an independent institute named "the royal institute of oceanography of Fouad I University. In 1945, the station was again merged with the faculty of science, Cairo University. In 1963 the station becomes associated with the Gulf of Suez branch as a part of the national institute of oceanography and fisheries that belongs to the ministry of scientific ministry of scientific research. In 1990, the station becomes an independent branch for the national institute of oceanography and fisheries at the red sea.